Growing your audience is key to a successful health and wellness coaching business. You need qualified leads who are ready and excited to work with you.
One of the most effective ways to grow your audience is through a freebie.
What is a freebie? It’s a helpful piece of content your audience downloads in exchange for their email address. It delivers value to your audience and gets them on your email list.
Maybe you’ve heard about a freebie before, but how do you actually create one? Keep reading to find out.
Why Is a Freebie Important?
Your email list is one of your most powerful marketing tools as a health and wellness coach. Social media can be effective for growing your exposure to new leads. But email is where you build loyalty with your audience and sell your offerings.
In fact, email marketing can generate a 4,200% return on investment.1
But for an email to be effective, you need to continually grow your email list with engaged leads. How do you grow your email list? With value-packed freebies that get your audience’s attention.
Here are two major benefits of creating a helpful freebie:
- Demonstrate Credibility. Your audience usually wants to see that you’re credible before they decide to buy from you. Offering helpful information for free can show your knowledge and get them excited to work together.
- Get Email Addresses. Ask for the audience’s email address and deliver the freebie to their inbox. Now that you have their email, you can start building trust with them in your email marketing.
A freebie makes all your marketing efforts more effective by driving leads back to your email list. You can start promoting it within any of your marketing channels, like social media.
Let’s say that you’re focusing on growing your social media presence. Link your freebie within your Instagram bio and promote the freebie in your content. This drives people into your email list, where you can start a relationship and sell your offerings.
As you grow your list, you’ll want to make sure that you start creating email marketing content as well. But for now, let’s focus on your freebie and how to create an effective one.
How to Create a Freebie
There are many different types of freebies you can create, like a webinar, Facebook challenge, or video training—to name a few. But one of the most common types that you’ve likely heard about is a free eBook.
If this is your first time creating a freebie, a free eBook is an effective place to start! You can add different types of freebies in the future.
Here are five steps to creating a valuable free eBook:
- Choose a Topic. Determine a problem that your client has that your eBook can solve. If you tend to get asked the same question multiple times, this could be an effective topic. Try to choose a topic that relates back to one of the services you provide. For example, if you’re a nutritionist, create an eBook around an eating habit you can help them adapt. This gets them interested to learn more about your paid offerings after they consume the free content. Check out more industry-specific freebie ideas below!
- Market Research. After you’ve determined the topic, dive into your research. Learn what your audience wants to know before you start writing. For example, you can search the topic on Google and check out related searches to see what people are interested in. Or create a poll on Instagram and ask your audience directly.
- Define Your Audience. List out the pain points your audience is experiencing that the eBook solves. Then, think through any objections they may have that could make them hesitate—and address them directly. Try to reframe the pain points in a positive light. Focus on the transformation they’ll experience after implementing the eBook’s advice.
- Outline and Write. Before you start writing, outline each section of the eBook and what you’ll provide. Outlining gives you a starting point and direction instead of staring at a blank page. When you start writing, remember to focus on the reader. Meet them where they are, empathize with their pain points, and offer the solution. At the end of the eBook, explain how the audience can work with you.
- Design. Use a simple design site to make your eBook look clean and professional. Canva has different templates that make designing simple. Don’t get too caught up in the design! You’ve done the heavy lifting of providing value in the eBook; now it’s time to bring it all together in a simple PDF.
Your goal of the eBook is to provide value and also get the audience interested in learning more about you. So, be sure to include a call to action that prompts them to explore your services.
Freebie Ideas for Coaches in Health and Wellness
The health and wellness market is rapidly growing right now. A simple Google search can give you lots of ideas of what people may be interested in. But if you’re still not sure what to write about, we’re here to help!
Steal these freebie ideas as thought starters for your next eBook.
- Nutrition Coach: Five-day food reset to heal your gut. Provide a meal plan and grocery list for your audience to easily eat healthy.
- Fitness Trainer: Four HIIT exercises to build strength and endurance. Walk the audience through a simple workout and explain the benefits.
- Holistic Health Coach: What is holistic health? Debunk a myth or mystery relating to holistic health and explain the benefits.
- Health and Wellness Coach: How to create a personal wellness plan to reach optimal health. Provide instructions on how to plan a weekly exercise, mindset, and health habits to improve overall health.
- Mindset Coach: Five steps for a mindful morning routine. Explain the top five mindful practices that set someone up for success in their day.
These are a few simple ideas to get you started. As you dig into your research, write down any other topics that seem important or interesting to your audience. You can always create multiple freebies to attract different audiences.
The comprehensive programs at AFPA offer you the knowledge and tools to become an expert health coach—and grow your business or career.
To get started, check out two of our most popular courses:
- Holistic Health Coach: Get comprehensive training in both health coaching and holistic nutrition. Yes, you get access to two certifications in one!
- Health and Wellness Coach: Develop tailored wellness plans for your clients to integrate into their lives. Teach clients how to be accountable, follow through, and reach their health goals.
We’ve helped thousands of students grow their businesses and make a bigger impact in their clients’ lives. We can’t wait to help you too.
And good luck with your freebie—you’ve got this!